[O] Re: Continuation of main section text after subsections ?

From: William Gardella
Subject: [O] Re: Continuation of main section text after subsections ?
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2011 17:26:38 -0400

Achim Gratz <address@hidden> writes:

> William Gardella <address@hidden> writes:
>> I think org-mode should aim to be flexible enough to accomodate all
>> writers, writing tasks, and writing styles.
>
> With flexibility comes complexity, which runs counter to "org should be
> simple".

Agreed, but I'd say org is already one of the most complex projects in
Emacs.  Its *apparent* simplicity for new victims--er, users--is a
feature worth keeping, of course. :)

>>  Maybe for this particular issue it would be enough to give org-mode
>> an explicit way to "close" a heading--an Org-wide equivalent to
>> \end{section} in LaTeX, say.
>
> There already is: you simply start a new section for each "thought",
> preferrably wih no whitespace after the heading so it becomes a visual
> unit that just folds away when outlined.  I've been doing that with
> Outline Mode and AuCTeX and it is actually much easier to do in orgmode.
> Once you get your thoughts into the proper order by sorting the
> "headlines", you can then insert, remove, edit, de- and promote the
> headings to finalize the document into something more readable.  In my
> experience, there rarely is a need to change the first level structure.
> However, if you are organizing the structure of your document while the
> content is still largely absent, then (as has already been suggested) it
> is easier in orgmode to do that in a list.  List items can be converted
> into headings and vice versa quite easily.
>

> Regards,
> Achim.

I use a workflow similar to this, using subheadings to allow for easier
reordering of paragraphs/thoughts.  I guess it's good to keep in mind
that using Org as a word processor (rather like using Gnus as a
mailclient) requires some rethinking and reevaluation of how one might
otherwise do things.  And maybe a change in approach is a better idea
when a technical fix might make org's markup or parser unnecessarily
complex.

--
William Gardella
J.D. Candidate