[O] Re: agenda view opening multiple buffers

From: Matt Lundin
Subject: [O] Re: agenda view opening multiple buffers
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2011 14:59:24 -0400

>> Thanks for pointing that out.  Wouldn't "x" that close the agenda as
>> well along with the buffers?
>
> Yes.
>
>>  OP said: " It would be good to have the
>> agenda open in a buffer without having all the agenda files opened
>> too."  May be a special custom agenda command that calls the above
>> lambda function at the end would work better by limiting the damaged
>> behaviour to just one command?
>
> No.  The agenda buffer needs the source buffers alive to function.

In addition, closing agenda buffers with "x" means that the next time
ones call the agenda, Emacs has to load and parse all those files again,
which takes much longer than simply rescanning buffers in memory.

In other words, the expense of keeping the buffers open (a relatively
small amount of RAM) is much less than the expense (disk IO, processing,
time) of reloading the files each time one calls the agenda. In
addition, pressing "x" will interrupt clocking.

If the problem is difficulty scanning through and navigating to buffers
in the Buffer List, ido offers a nice way to switch buffers quickly.

In my experience, Emacs is better savored as a sumptuous feast than as a
spartan repast. The more dishes there are on the table, the merrier
everyone is. :)

(length (buffer-list)) => 178

And I haven't started ERC yet. ;)

Best,