Re: [O] Illiterate programming question

From: Eric Schulte
Subject: Re: [O] Illiterate programming question
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2011 16:52:40 -0600

Robert Goldman <address@hidden> writes:

> On 3/30/11 Mar 30 -4:33 PM, Nick Dokos wrote:
>> Robert Goldman <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>>> I would like to do the opposite of literate programming (hence the
>>> subject line!):
>>>
>>> I would like to pull into my org file snippets from a code file.  I know
>>> that org-mode will let me import /entire/ source code files.  Is there
>>> some way to say "Import the region of this file between these two
>>> delimiters?"
>>>
>>> If not, do you think it would be hard to add this feature?  I already
>>> have the snappy name, after all!
>>>

>> I don't really understand: can't you cut and paste?
>
> Yes, but if I cut and paste the text of the code that I am describing
> may change out from under my text.  If I import the code, it stays in
> sync (at least when the document is exported).

Babel does have a way to bring changes back from pure source code into
code blocks in an Org-mode document.  While it isn't perfect (especially
if you make extensive use of noweb references or variables) there are
mechanisms to maintain such a /sync/.  To try this out, tangle out code
with the ":comments yes" header argument, then change an element of the
tangled source code, and use the `org-babel-detangle' function to bring
the changes back into the Org-mode document.

Improving the detangling (or "illiterate") features is an area ripe for
future Babel development.

Cheers -- Eric