[O] Re: Bug: Jumping to date in custom agenda looses starting day of wee

From: Matt Lundin
Subject: [O] Re: Bug: Jumping to date in custom agenda looses starting day of week
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2011 13:47:12 -0400

Sébastien Vauban <address@hidden>
writes:

> Hi Bernt,
>
> Bernt Hansen wrote:
>> I can move forwards and backwards one day at a time with 'f' and 'b' and it
>> works great. If however I want to jump to a specific date the block view is
>> lost and it reverts back to the regular calendar agenda view.
>
> In the same spirit, I would add another point: if you have a view with
> starting day (of the week) on Monday:
>
>                 ("C" "Weekly appointments"
>                  agenda ""
>                  ((org-agenda-ndays 7)
>                   (org-agenda-start-on-weekday 1)
>                   (org-agenda-time-grid nil)
>                   (org-agenda-prefix-format "  %12:t ")
>                   (org-agenda-include-all-todo nil)
>                   (org-agenda-repeating-timestamp-show-all t)
>                   (org-agenda-skip-function
>                    '(org-agenda-skip-entry-if 'deadline 'scheduled))))

[An aside: Setting org-agenda-entry-types to '(:timestamp :sexp) is
faster than using an org-agenda-skip-function here.]

> and jump to a Thursday, then the new 7-days view is beginning on Thursday
> (which is my global setting), instead of keeping the Monday.

I can confirm this.

Moreover, I find that my custom settings for org-agenda-entry-types are
ignored and org-agenda-span are discarded when jumping to a date. The
following custom command displays a weekly calendar.

        ("cc" "Calendar" agenda ""
         ((org-agenda-span 'week)
          (org-agenda-start-on-weekday 0)               ; start on Sunday
          (org-agenda-time-grid nil)
          (org-agenda-prefix-format " %-12:t ")
          (org-deadline-warning-days 0)
          (org-agenda-include-all-todo nil)
          (org-agenda-repeating-timestamp-show-all t)
          (org-agenda-filter-preset '("-nocal1"))
          (org-agenda-hide-tags-regexp ".*")
          ))

My default org-agenda-span is 'day.

If I jump to Thursday, I get a standard one-day agenda view, which
includes all the org-agenda-entry-types (deadline, schedule, etc.).

If I then refresh the agenda view, the deadline and schedule items
disappear, but the agenda remains limited to the default span (day)
instead of the custom span (week).

> What I would find logical is to keep this setting active for the jump.

A quick check of the git history reveals that org-agenda-goto-date has
*always* been rather basic. It simply calls org-agenda-list for the date
in question. Unlike org-agenda-goto-today, it pays no attention to the
local settings for the current agenda.

Best,
Matt