Re: [O] what happened to the #+OPTIONS: \n:t ?

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [O] what happened to the #+OPTIONS: \n:t ?
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2011 10:26:26 +0200

On Apr 5, 2011, at 10:15 AM, katepano wrote:

> Dear Dominik.
> I see your point and it is accepted, of course. I admit, I should write my
> email more clearly. Anyway, thanks for your time.
>
> On the other hand I really would like to see #+OPTIONS: \n:t working, if this
> possible and do not cause much frustration.

If you read the threads I have linked to you will see that
this is not at all simple.  An option like this would always
be a dirty hack that forces a backend into a state it was not
made for.  Using special markup and environments for code, poems,
you name it, on the other hand, is perfectly fine.

- Carsten

> thanks anyway
>
> Katepano
>
> On 04/05/2011 11:04 AM, Carsten Dominik wrote:
>> Dear katepano,
>>
>> as you can see, it has taken 11 emails on a high volume email list
>> to get the answer to your simple question.  More than 1100 people have
>> subscribed to this mailing list, an unknown number of people
>> read it on aggregators like gmane.  That is a lot of time and energy
>> spent unnecessarily.
>>
>> Please take more care when formulating a question to the list
>> and try to give all necessary information from the start.
>> Here is an example on how you *could* have formulated your
>> initial mail:

>> Dear Org- mode people,
>>
>> I am trying to write a poem in Orgmode, but when I am exporting
>> the poem to LaTeX or HTML, all the line breaks are lost!  I would like
>> to export the poem with the line break preserved.
>>
>> I have studied the manual and have found that

>> might be a way to achieve what I want.  But the feature is marked as
>> DOES NOT WORK in the manual.  Does anyone know why this is the case?
>> I have also search for "preserve breaks" in the mailing list archive:
>>
>> http://search.gmane.org/?query=preserve+breaks&author=&group=gmane.emacs.orgmode&sort=relevance&DEFAULTOP=and&xP=org%09mode
>>
>> and found a number of threads which match this query, but the results
>> have been confusing to me.  So I am wondering if someone here could
>> enlighten me what the best way is to achieve my goal.
>>
>> Here is an example Org-file:
>>
>> #+STARTUP: showall
>> #+TITLE: 5-006 Τσιγάρο ατέλειωτο
>>
>> *Συνθέτης:* Σωκράτης Μάλαμας
>> *Στιχουργός:* Γιώργος Αθανασόπουλος
>> *Έτος:* 1993
>>
>> #+BEGIN_QUOTE
>> Θα περπατήσω μοναχός κι αυτό το βράδυ
>> μήπως και βρω της λησμονιάς σου το νερό
>> και σε υπόγεια σκοτεινά θα βρω σημάδι
>> μ' ένα ποτήρι ως της αυγής τον πανικό
>> #+END_QUOTE
>>
>> I guess you would have gotten the right reply immediately.
>>

>> On Apr 4, 2011, at 4:42 PM, katepano wrote:
>>
>>> what happen to the #+OPTIONS: \n:t ? we need it back please!!! why it does
>>> not work????
>>>
>>> By the way nobody responded to my message!!!
>>>
>>> http://www.mail-archive.com/address@hidden/msg40104.html
>>> why? is it a stupid question or it can't be implemented?
>>
>> That was actually a much better message, and, as Bastien indicates,
>> there is no simple answer/solution at this time.
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> - Carsten
>>

>>> Regards
>>>
>>> katepano