[O] Re: Something like 'org-clock-in-at-time'?

From: John Hendy
Subject: [O] Re: Something like 'org-clock-in-at-time'?
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2011 10:00:29 -0500

On Sat, Apr 9, 2011 at 1:03 PM, Bernt Hansen <address@hidden> wrote:

> John Hendy <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> On Sat, Mar 12, 2011 at 2:48 PM, John Hendy <address@hidden> wrote:
>>> Could someone fill me in on your process for clocking in things after
>>> the fact? I've been trying to get into to clocking, but, especially at
>>> home, I don't return to my computer in between every different thing.
>>> Instead, I stop at it when I get a pause and try to fill in what I've
>>> been doing. So far, this has been something akin to:
>>>
>>> - create a new sub-headline and call it what I was doing
>>> - C-c C-c to tag it
>>> - C-c C-x C-i followed by C-c C-x C-o to create a clocked time stamps
>>> - Manually edit the times
>>> - C-c C-c to update the count
>>>

>>> This gets quite tedious when adding several things. I have to expand
>>> the logbook, and then fiddle with the times.
>>> Could there be (or is there already) a function that might act like
>>> the date selection screen for clocking? I looked at the completion
>>> list for org-clock-* commands and none of them looked promising. I
>>> could envision something like:
>>>
>>> - M-x org-clock-in-at-time
>>> - Minibuffer presents date selection, you select date just like for
>>> timestamps
>>> - Minibuffer requests time in form HH:MM and you can type it in
>>>
>>> Same type of function for clocking out. This would *vastly* simplify
>>> how I end up clocking.
>>>
>>> I'm absolutely open to suggestions from others on how you deal with
>>> this. Perhaps this is an opportunity to learn about how the *experts*
>>> access some functionality I'm currently unaware of!
>
>> Just wanted to bump this as it's almost been a month. Even feedback as
>> to whether or not this is feasible would be appreciated. If it's not,
>> or it is but just won't happen, I'll resolve to keep clocking in,
>> immediately clocking out, and then futzing with the times by hand.
>
> Hi John,
>
> I don't have a workflow for this but I just did a little experiment
> which may be easier than what you are currently doing.
>
> It's now 1:54PM and I wanted to try to create a few (fake) tasks and
> generate clocking data for the following:
>
>  - task 1 for 8:00 - 8:30
>  - task 2 for 8:30 - 8:45
>  - task 3 for 8:45 - 11:00
>  - task 4 for 11:00 - 13:00
>  - task 5 for 13:00 - now (current task)
>
> so I did the following:
>
> 1) Stop the clock
> 2) Create the tasks
>
>   --8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
>   * TODO Experiment with clocking in old data
>   [2011-04-09 Sat 13:47]
>   ** TODO Old task for 8am - 8:30
>   [2011-04-09 Sat 13:48]

<snip>

>   [2011-04-09 Sat 13:48]
>   --8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---
>
> 3) Clock in the first task (Old task for 8am - 8:30)
> 4) Manually move the clock back to 8AM with S-up and S-down on the clock
>   line CLOCK: [2011-04-09 Sat 13:52]CLOCK: [2011-04-09 Sat 08:00]
>   (or just edit it)
> 5) M-x org-resolve-clocks  (I have this bound to M-F11)
> 6) enter K to keep 30 minutes and stop the clock
> 7) Go to the next task and clock that in
> 8) answer Yes to start the clock from the last time
> 9) M-F11 (M-x org-resolve-clocks) again and enter K to keep 15 minutes
>   for the 8:30-8:45 task
> 10) Lather, rinse, and repeat 7-9 for all but the last task
> 11) Then clock in the last task and continue with whatever you are
>    doing.
>
> This results in something like this

> * DONE Experiment with clocking in old data
> CLOSED: [2011-04-09 Sat 13:51]
> :LOGBOOK:
> - State "DONE"       from "STARTED"    [2011-04-09 Sat 13:51]
> :END:
> [2011-04-09 Sat 13:47]
> [[gnus:nntp%2Bnews.gmane.org:gmane.emacs.orgmode][gnus:nntp+news.gmane.org:gmane.emacs.orgmode]]

<snip>

> Does that help?

Yes! Very much. I can make that work. I haven't used a clock in a
while and I'm wondering if something recently changed... my clocks
used to get put in a :PROPERTIES: drawer and now they're not doing so.
I'll have to dig around on that.

The K option really helps; I should have been aware of it!

Thanks again!
John