Re: [O] Re: Something like 'org-clock-in-at-time'?

From: Nathan Neff
Subject: Re: [O] Re: Something like 'org-clock-in-at-time'?
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2011 21:42:30 -0500

On Sat, Apr 9, 2011 at 1:03 PM, Bernt Hansen <address@hidden> wrote:

> John Hendy <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> On Sat, Mar 12, 2011 at 2:48 PM, John Hendy <address@hidden> wrote:
>>> Could someone fill me in on your process for clocking in things after
>>> the fact? I've been trying to get into to clocking, but, especially at
>>> home, I don't return to my computer in between every different thing.
>>> Instead, I stop at it when I get a pause and try to fill in what I've
>>> been doing. So far, this has been something akin to:
<snip>

> Hi John,
>
> I don't have a workflow for this but I just did a little experiment
> which may be easier than what you are currently doing.
>
> It's now 1:54PM and I wanted to try to create a few (fake) tasks and
> generate clocking data for the following:
>
>  - task 1 for 8:00 - 8:30
>  - task 2 for 8:30 - 8:45
>  - task 3 for 8:45 - 11:00
>  - task 4 for 11:00 - 13:00
>  - task 5 for 13:00 - now (current task)
>
> so I did the following:
>
> 1) Stop the clock
> 2) Create the tasks
>
>   --8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
>   * TODO Experiment with clocking in old data
>   [2011-04-09 Sat 13:47]
>   ** TODO Old task for 8am - 8:30
>   [2011-04-09 Sat 13:48]
>   ** TODO 8:30-8:45
>   [2011-04-09 Sat 13:48]
>   ** TODO 8:45-11:00
>   [2011-04-09 Sat 13:48]
>   ** TODO 11:00-1PM
>   [2011-04-09 Sat 13:48]
>   ** TODO current task
>   [2011-04-09 Sat 13:48]
>   --8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---
>
> 3) Clock in the first task (Old task for 8am - 8:30)
> 4) Manually move the clock back to 8AM with S-up and S-down on the clock
>   line CLOCK: [2011-04-09 Sat 13:52]CLOCK: [2011-04-09 Sat 08:00]
>   (or just edit it)
> 5) M-x org-resolve-clocks  (I have this bound to M-F11)
> 6) enter K to keep 30 minutes and stop the clock
> 7) Go to the next task and clock that in
> 8) answer Yes to start the clock from the last time
> 9) M-F11 (M-x org-resolve-clocks) again and enter K to keep 15 minutes
>   for the 8:30-8:45 task
> 10) Lather, rinse, and repeat 7-9 for all but the last task
> 11) Then clock in the last task and continue with whatever you are
>    doing.
<snip Bernt's answer>

This is a great way of resolving the *latest* block of time.

What about having the ability to use the log-mode in the agenda to
manipulate clock times?

For example, given something like this in the agenda log, I could see holes
in my day, and quickly modify the time(s) to close up the holes without
jumping back & forth to each entry.

  nate:       20:30-21:00 Clocked:   (0:03) DONE Update tax notes
---- 15 minute gap ----
  nate:       21:15-21:30 Clocked:   (0:15) TODO Mail taxes
----- 30 minute gap ---
  nate:       22:00-22:30 Clocked:   (0:30) DONE Drink beer

I think that this is much harder than what it seems, due to agenda
refreshing, and the myriad edge cases.  But, I can dream :-)

--Nate