Re: [O] Occurance property, or some similar name?

From: Michael Brand
Subject: Re: [O] Occurance property, or some similar name?
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2011 16:19:51 +0200

On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 15:08, Christopher Allan Webber
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Michael Brand <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> The name could be critical. To avoid any confusions/collisions I would
>> recommend to use just that name TIMESTAMP for easy get/set access:
>>
>> * _appointment_ that _occurs_ at bike shop
>>   :PROPERTIES:
>>   :TIMESTAMP: <2011-04-12 Tue 19:00>
>>   :END:
>>

> Maybe you're already aware, but since TIMESTAMP is a "special property"
> it currently isn't legal to use it as a property.  But maybe you're
> suggesting changing that?

Yes, I suggest to remove this limitation and would prefer TIMESTAMP
much over OCCURANCE, APPOINTMENT (not every occurrance is an
appointment) or any other name to avoid a second name for the same
behavior of the existing special property TIMESTAMP and to avoid
confusions/collisions at other places like e. g. selecting a property
for a column view. In the sense of special properties I also suggest
to allow different formats:

* _appointment_ that _occurs_ at bike shop (keyword inside drawer)
 :PROPERTIES:
 :TIMESTAMP: <2011-04-12 Tue 19:00>
 :END:
* _appointment_ that _occurs_ at bike shop (keyword outside drawer)
 :TIMESTAMP: <2011-04-12 Tue 19:00>
* _appointment_ that _occurs_ at bike shop (keyword-less, at least for
backward compatibility)
  <2011-04-12 Tue 19:00>

With this I imagine that reading and writing the special property
TIMESTAMP would address the first found with the chosen format or, if
not found, for writing create one with the chosen format. The chosen
format would of course default to the now only format "keyword-less",
or with e. g.

#+SPECIAL_PROPERTIES: TIMESTAMP=drawer:PROPERTIES   <= example syntax
only to get an idea

could be changed to the first format "keyword inside drawer". The
format "keyword-less" seems to overlap with the others which might
need some more care.

See also
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/40801/focus=40813

Michael