Re: [O] Bug: symbol function's definition is null : signum [7.5]

From: Sylvain Beucler
Subject: Re: [O] Bug: symbol function's definition is null : signum [7.5]
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2011 11:30:31 +0200

On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 06:40:51PM -0400, Nick Dokos wrote:
> Sylvain Beucler <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > When using S-<up> to modify a date with an our range in Org 7.5, I get
> > "symbol function's definition is null : signum".
> >
> > E.g. <2011-03-10 jeu. 10:30-11:30>
> >
> > It appears that (org-modify-ts-extra) is using this function, but
> > unlike in CL isn't not an elisp built-in :)
> >
> > As a work-around I added an internal defun:
> > (defun org-modify-ts-extra (s pos n dm)
> >   "Change the different parts of the lead-time and repeat fields in
> > timestamp."
> >   (defun signum (x)
> >     (cond
> >      ((> x 0)  1)
> >      ((< x 0) -1)
> >      ((= x 0)  0)))
> > [...]
> >

> What version of emacs are you using?
>
> For emacs 24 at least, it's defined in cl-extra.el (which is distributed
> with emacs itself).  That in turn is loaded when cl is loaded and there
> are plenty of places where org does a (require 'cl), e.g. when loading
> org.el or org-agenda.el; but it may be that you have found a path in
> that does not do so, however unlikely that scenario is.
>
> So you can probably resolve the problem by adding a (require 'cl)
> somewhere in your .emacs. But if you can, it would be worthwhile to
> figure out how you end up in that situation, so the (require 'cl) can be
> added to the appropriate place.
>
> If you are using emacs 23 or earlier, the above might not be applicable,
> but you probably can still resolve the problem the same way: adding a
> (require 'cl) in your .emacs. If that does not resolve it, then adding a
> (require 'cl-extra) as well should certainly do so.

I use 23.2.1 (http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/emacs).  Adding
(require 'el) works.

I tried on another box with the same Emacs (23.2.1 -
http://packages.debian.org/wheezy/emacs) and Org, roughly the same
configuration, and I can't reproduce the problem, so it's a bit of a
mystery for me.

Thanks for your answer.

--
Sylvain