Re: [O] [ANN] org-bibtex.el --- convert between Org headings and bibtex

From: Matt Lundin
Subject: Re: [O] [ANN] org-bibtex.el --- convert between Org headings and bibtex entries
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2011 09:25:20 -0400

"Thomas S. Dye" <address@hidden> writes:

> This could be very useful and a significant enhancement to Org-mode
> for note taking. With it, library time can be spent almost entirely
> within Org-mode, capturing bibliographic information and taking
> reading notes. It feels like the right level of functionality--
> lightweight and easy to use, with lots of prompting material.
>
> I created an entry with org-bibtex-create and then another with org-
> bibtex-read/write.  When I ran org-bibtex, only the second entry was
> exported.  Also, the org-bibtex-read/write process mangled the bibtex
> entry a bit, so the resulting .bib file wasn't useful.  Note the
> addition of {} around the publisher and year, and the truncation of
> multi-line entries.

Just as with auto-generated keys, I wonder whether some of these
problems might be remedied by plugging into existing bibtex-mode
functions, especially bibtex-parse-entry and the bibtex string cleanup
functions. I am always amazed by the ability of bibtex-mode to do the
right thing when cleaning up entries (e.g., remove delimiters from
dates, string abbreviations, etc.).

Also, it might be nice to allow a way to one's existing bibtex entry
type and field definitions---i.e., bibtex-entry-field-alist.

Best,
Mat