Re: [O] [ANN] org-bibtex.el --- convert between Org headings and bibtex

From: Eric Schulte
Subject: Re: [O] [ANN] org-bibtex.el --- convert between Org headings and bibtex entries
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2011 13:59:54 -0600

Matt Lundin <address@hidden> writes:

> "Thomas S. Dye" <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> This could be very useful and a significant enhancement to Org-mode
>> for note taking. With it, library time can be spent almost entirely
>> within Org-mode, capturing bibliographic information and taking
>> reading notes. It feels like the right level of functionality--
>> lightweight and easy to use, with lots of prompting material.
>>
>> I created an entry with org-bibtex-create and then another with org-
>> bibtex-read/write.  When I ran org-bibtex, only the second entry was
>> exported.  Also, the org-bibtex-read/write process mangled the bibtex
>> entry a bit, so the resulting .bib file wasn't useful.  Note the
>> addition of {} around the publisher and year, and the truncation of
>> multi-line entries.
>
> Just as with auto-generated keys, I wonder whether some of these
> problems might be remedied by plugging into existing bibtex-mode
> functions, especially bibtex-parse-entry and the bibtex string cleanup
> functions. I am always amazed by the ability of bibtex-mode to do the
> right thing when cleaning up entries (e.g., remove delimiters from
> dates, string abbreviations, etc.).

Ah, this is a great suggestions and I wish I had thought to look for
existing support before rolling my own versions of these functions.
org-bibtex is now using both of the functions you mentioned above to
good effect.

> Also, it might be nice to allow a way to one's existing bibtex entry
> type and field definitions---i.e., bibtex-entry-field-alist.

It shouldn't be difficult to add items to the two defvars used by
org-bibtex to manage bibtex entries, namely bibtex-types and
bibtex-fields

Best -- Eric

--
Eric Schulte