Re: [O] Missing Introduction and About sections in LaTeX export

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] Missing Introduction and About sections in LaTeX export
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2011 17:41:26 -0400

Avdi Grimm <address@hidden> wrote:

> I have an Org document I'm exporting to PDF through LaTeX using the
> "report" class.
>
> The two first top-level sections in the document, titled "About" and
> "Introduction", are completely missing from the generated .tex and
> PDF. The exported files start on the third section.

Can't reproduce this:

#+latex_class: report

* About

foo

* Introduction

bar

* First real section

baz

when exported to latex it gives:

,----
| \part{About}
| \label{sec-1}
|

| foo
| \part{Introduction}
| \label{sec-2}
|

| bar
| \part{First real section}
| \label{sec-3}
|

| baz
`----

and all three appear in the TOC.

Org-mode version 7.5 (release_7.5.181.g66caf)
GNU Emacs 24.0.50.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.22.0) of
2011-04-13

> Coincidentally(?) those are the "front matter" sections which I don't
> want included in the contents. However, I have done nothing to mark
> them as such. They have no classes or properties. As far as I can tell
> there is nothing making them different from other sections.
>
> Any ideas why they might be elided by the LaTeX exporter in Org 7.5?
>
> Follow-up: assuming I can get them to export at all, how can I mark
> *just* those two headings to be exported using the "starred" form so
> that they are not included in the chapter numbering?

Just star them by hand in the tex file after exporting for the last
time: it'll take two seconds. You may be able to do it from Org by
writing a custom function (C-h v org-export-latex-classes <RET> for
details) but I suspect that the effort is just not worth it.

Nick