Re: [O] Conflict between Org-Mode versions?

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] Conflict between Org-Mode versions?
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2011 15:58:32 -0400

Michael Hannon <address@hidden> wrote:

> > From: Eric S Fraga <address@hidden>
>

> > [...]
>
> >> FWIW, in Emacs I typed:
> >>
> >>     C-h v org<TAB>
> >>
> >> and got no fewer than 931 completions.  A lot of knobs to turn!
> >
> > yes, indeed!  the info manual is your friend here.  it is very difficult
> > to figure out what you need to set from just the list of org- variables.
>
> Heh.  Yes, thanks, Eric.  I'm not crazy enough to try to bootstrap my way
> through 900+ variables, but that sets the scale of the challenge for me.

IIRC, Carsten had run a poll for the nomination of the 50 most-use{d|ful}
variables. The results must be somewhere (Worg? Mailing list?). That
would probably serve as a better starting point than a 931-element list
with no other indicator of importance.

Also, Bernt's document (http://doc.norang.ca/org-mode.html ) probably
contains settings for most (if not all) of the important variables.

After that, you can start looking at more obscure ones. Many of those
were introduced as part of a user-requested feature, so you can probably
get some background information on them by searching the mailing list.

> > The best approach here is to use some of the specific functions (often
> > with already defined key bindings) that are set up for just this type of
> > case: =org-insert-link= in this case.  These will insert things with the
> > right formatting automatically!
>
> Very good suggestion!  I just used C-c C-l to add a link, and, of course, it
> worked perfectly (as did the manual edit suggested by Nick D.).  I note that
> by my count there are no fewer than 1612 "org*" functions ;-)

Be ready to explain them all by heart. Quiz tomorrow.

Nick