Re: [O] Old versions

From: David Dyer-Bennet
Subject: Re: [O] Old versions
Date: Tue, 3 May 2011 16:01:12 -0500

On Tue, May 3, 2011 07:22, Jambunathan K wrote:
> Giovanni Ridolfi <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> "David Dyer-Bennet" <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> What's the oldest version of org-mode known to work with Gnu Emacs
>>> 21.4.1?
>> Search engines are your friends!
>>
>> 'org-mode "emacs 21" support discontinued' gives the first link:

I hadn't hit on that particular search string, so I hadn't found it.

>> http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/27701
>>
>> " Emacs 21 support has been dropped
>>   ==================================
>>
>>   Do not use Org mode 7.xx with Emacs 21, use [version 6.36c] instead. "
>>

>>> And where can I find a copy?
>>
>> How about here?:
>>
>> http://orgmode.org/org-6.36c.zip

I can't find any POINTER to that anywhere on the site; it's kind of
hidden.  Thanks for pointing me to it.  It'd be a good thing to have some
pointers to various old versions on the site, where people could find
them.

However, it doesn't make or make install with the Emacs 21.4.1 install on
my web host (engl.dreamhost.com, to be explicit; running Linux).

First, I get errors that defvaralias isn't defined.  Most of the
references seem to be testing for it first, but one isn't. Figured that
out later, but went through and commented out all of them.

Then it doesn't find sha1.el.  I went out and found a copy of sha1.el and
put it somewhere in my loadpath.

And now it's doing this:

[engl]$ make
emacs -batch -q -no-site-file -eval "(setq load-path (cons
(expand-file-name \"./lisp/\") (\
cons \"~//share/emacs/21.4/site-lisp\" load-path)))" -f batch-byte-compile
lisp/org-feed.el
While compiling toplevel forms in file
/home/ddbweb/src/org-6.36c/lisp/org-feed.el:
  !! error (("Variable binding depth exceeds max-specpdl-size"))
Done
make: *** [lisp/org-feed.elc] Error 1

And this one I'm not seeing a quick way past.

So...doesn't look like 6.36c actually works on an emacs 21.4.1 install,
though of course this install might be quirky.

Any suggestions on how to proceed?  Either fixing this problem, or a
different version to try?
--
David Dyer-Bennet, address@hidden; http://dd-b.net/
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info