Re: [O] insert picture feature request.

From: Rainer Stengele
Subject: Re: [O] insert picture feature request.
Date: Wed, 04 May 2011 15:28:46 +0200

Am 04.05.2011 12:01, schrieb Rainer Stengele:
> +1 for windows support.
>
> I would also need such a image copy tool under windows.
>
> A way to capture an image and have it referenced/included in an org file
> with a simple keychord would be most welcome.
>
> What most of my colleagues - non Emacs users - do is open MS Word,
> paste some captured images and write some simple comments.
> No need to copy, save and link to an image.
> A documentation including some screenshots is done in a snap.
>
> For me this is one of the things I miss a lot while living in Org.
> Anybody knows about a comparable tool to Imagemagick "import" under Windows?

> OK - I searched a bit and found this, which works on command line: (see
> http://www.irfanview.de)
>

> Example for /capture:
> i_view32.exe /capture=0
> Capture the whole screen.
> i_view32.exe /capture=6
> Start in Capture mode, use last used capture dialog settings.
>
> capture values:
> 0 = whole screen
> 1 = current monitor, where mouse is located
> 2 = foreground window
> 3 = foreground window - client area
> 4 = rectangle selection
> 5 = object selected with the mouse
> 6 = start in capture mode (can't be combined with other commandline options)
>
> Advanced examples:
> i_view32.exe /capture=2 /convert=c:\test.jpg
> Capture foreground window and save result as file.
> i_view32.exe /capture=2 /convert=c:\capture_$U(%d%m%Y_%H%M%S).jpg
> Capture foreground window and save result as file; the file name contains
> time stamp.
>
> I will try this in my Org environment.
>
> -- Rainer
>

> Am 04.05.2011 02:37, schrieb Mark S.:
>> This doesn't work under windows even if you have ImageMagick installed. Is
>> there a similar way to capture and insert a picture under windows?
>>
>> Thanks!

The better approach seems to be to take the screenshot image from the clipboard.
Therefore any screenshot tool will do.

This works for me under Windows XP:
(I had to introduce the tilde-buffer-filename variable for irfanview to work)

(defun org-screenshot ()
  "Take a screenshot into a time stamped unique-named file in the same
directory as the org-buffer and insert
a link to this file."
  (interactive)
  (setq tilde-buffer-filename
        (replace-regexp-in-string "/" "\\" (buffer-file-name) t t))
  (setq filename
        (concat
         (make-temp-name
          (concat tilde-buffer-filename
                  "_"
                  (format-time-string "%Y%m%d_%H%M%S_")) ) ".jpg"))
  ;; Linux: ImageMagick: (call-process "import" nil nil nil filename)
  ;; Windows: Irfanview
  (call-process "c:\\Programme\\IrfanView\\i_view32.exe" nil nil nil (concat
"/clippaste /convert=" filename))
  (insert (concat "[[file:" filename "]]"))
  (org-display-inline-images))

So this is how it works:

1. take a screenshot with any tool you are used to use
2. change to your org buffer and call "org-screenshot" via M-x

Instead of ".jpg" you can use any format IrfanView understands, for example
"png".

Very useful!

-- Rainer