Re: [O] Bug: No property change from ‘org-clock-s um’

From: Bernt Hansen
Subject: Re: [O] Bug: No property change from ‘org-clock-s um’
Date: Thu, 05 May 2011 21:43:25 -0400

Ben Finney <address@hidden> writes:

>> When I use ‘org-clock-sum’ in Org-mode version 7.4, nothing appears to
>> happen: the items in the subtree are not updated and no ‘CLOCKSUM’
>> property appears.
>>
>> Org-mode version 7.4
>> GNU Emacs 23.2.1 (powerpc-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.20.1) of
>> 2010-12-12 on porpora, modified by Debian
>
> This is still the case after an upgrade:
>
> Org-mode version 7.5
> GNU Emacs 23.3.1 (powerpc-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.4) of
> 2011-04-11 on praetorius, modified by Debian
>
>> Why wouldn't the ‘org-clock-sum’ function do what its doc string says?
>> How should I be updating the ‘CLOCKSUM’ property?
>
> Can anyone shed light on this? I'd like to use the function as
> specified.

Hi Ben,

I don't think the org-clock-sum function does what you think/want it to
do.  The docstring says it sets text properties on the headline - so I
don't think it is intended to update a CLOCKSUM property in the
headings.

These text properties are temporary (ie. not saved in the org file) and
I think these are used by the column view overlays for display-only.

The org-invoice.el contributed file created by Peter Jones uses a
CLOCKSUM property but I'm not sure if this is intended to be updated
manually or automatically from the clocking lines in org.  I've CC-ed
Peter in case he can shed any light on this.

Regards,
Bernt