[O] starting a clock when not in org-mode

From: Eric S Fraga
Subject: [O] starting a clock when not in org-mode
Date: Fri, 13 May 2011 10:17:09 +0100

Hello,

I have been using the clocking features of org mode more and more as
time goes on.  Brilliant feature.  However, I am having problems with
one specific use case:

The org-clock-in method works very well when I am pro-actively deciding
what tasks to work on, e.g. through the agenda view.  However, in some
cases, I am reacting to external events (emails, somebody coming to see
me, phone call, etc).  I have a number of tasks which are more general
and which capture this type of activity (admin, teaching, ...).  If I
happen to be in an org mode buffer, then "C-u M-x org-clock-in RET"
allows me to pick the particular task (as it will typically be in the
history) and clock it in.  Works well.

If I am *not* in an org buffer (yes, this happens sometimes ;-), I
cannot do this as org-clock-in, even with the C-u arg, wants to find a
headline.  Can anybody suggest how I can clock in to a previously
clocked task from any emacs mode?

My current solution is to tag these general catch-all tasks
with :clocked:, use the agenda search (C-c a m clocked), select the
appropriate one and start the clock.  This seems clumsy and doesn't make
use of the history feature of org clocking, which seems a waste!

I have read Bernt's excellent document [1] but it doesn't help me for
this particular use.  I've also searched the mailing list but to no
avail unfortunately.

Thanks,
eric

Footnotes:
[1]  http://doc.norang.ca/org-mode.html

--
: Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D) in Emacs 24.0.50.1
: using Org-mode version 7.5 (release_7.5.274.gd6aba.dirty)