Re: [O] org-bbdb-anniversaries gives error 'bad sexp'

From: Matt Lundin
Subject: Re: [O] org-bbdb-anniversaries gives error 'bad sexp'
Date: Sun, 15 May 2011 12:58:36 -0400

"Roland Winkler" <address@hidden> writes:

> On Sat May 14 2011 Johnny wrote:
>> I have set up an org-agenda that includes anniversaries in the agenda
>> view from the bbdb database, but this breaks with bbdb 3.02 giving the
>> error 'bad sexp'.
>>
>> I set up the agenda file using (from org-mode 6.33x info section 10.3.1):
>>
>> * Anniversaries
>> :PROPERTIES:
>> :CATEGORY: Anniv
>> :END
>> %%(org-bbdb-anniversaries)
>>
>> Any ideas?
>
> I need to say that I do not know how org-mode interfaces with BBDB.
> I am CC'ing this email also to address@hidden
>
> If org-mode is set up to work with BBDB v2.x, (most likely) this
> does not work with BBDB v3. Defining aliases for the old BBDB
> functions in terms of the new ones would work only in a few cases.
> Of course, this depends first of all on how org-mode is supposed to
> work with BBDB.

I'd be happy to take this on. AFAICT, there are three functions in
org-bbdb that no longer exist in bbdb v3.

bbdb-name
bbdb-company
bbdb-record-getprop

The first two can easily be defaliased to bbdb-search-organization and
bbdb-search-name. (For a while, we should probably support bbdb v2 and
v3 simultaneously.)

What is the new name of bbdb-record-getprop (the function that retrieves
the value of a given label in a record)? My best guess is
bbdb-record-note, but I want to confirm this.

The other major change that breaks compatibility is the order of the
parameters in bbdb-split. It has been reversed in the new bbdb: i.e.,
one used to call (bbdb-split string separator), whereas now one must
call (bbdb-split separator string). Is there a compelling reason to
change this order in the new bbdb?

Best,
Matt