Re: [O] Performance problem

From: Eric S Fraga
Subject: Re: [O] Performance problem
Date: Mon, 23 May 2011 19:33:31 +0100

Michael Welle <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Matt Lundin <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Michael Welle <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> I use Emacs 23.2.1 and org-mode 7.5. After some time, usually after a
>>> few days of 'uptime', building an agenda becomes very sloooow.
>>
>> Is this the standard agenda or a custom agenda?
> it's a custom agenda that collects all appointments for the next four
> weeks:
>
>        ( "z" "Appointments for the next four weeks" agenda ""
>         ((org-agenda-skip-function
>           (lambda nil
>         (org-agenda-skip-entry-if 'nottodo '("APPT"))))
>          (org-agenda-ndays 28)
>          (org-agenda-include-diary nil )))
>

>>> I expect the agenda built from 120 org file to show up within five
>>> seconds.
>>
>> Five seconds still seems like a long time. How many lines are in your
>> agenda? Are your org buffers already open when you call it? Or have you
>> closed your org buffers by typing "x" in the agenda?
> OK, five seconds is an upper boundary, it might take more like three
> seconds or so. I count twentyone, twentytwo, ... to 'measure' the
> duration of the operation. With this higly accurate method I can't
> observe much difference if I started with loaded org files or not.

Well, for me, a monthly view (equivalent to your 4 week view?)
takes well over 5 seconds at best of times:

org-agenda-list                                               2
19.049079     9.5245395
org-agenda-view-mode-dispatch                                 1
18.791959     18.791959
org-agenda-month-view                                         1
18.529849     18.529849
org-agenda-change-time-span                                   1
18.529803     18.529803
org-agenda-redo                                               1
18.528674     18.528674
org-agenda-get-day-entries                                    462
18.115907999  0.0392119220
org-let                                                       1
17.600798     17.600798
org-agenda-get-scheduled                                      462
9.5824770000  0.0207412922
org-get-todo-state                                            12382
6.0307460000  0.0004870575
org-back-to-heading                                           13407
4.3458889999  0.0003241507
org-agenda-get-timestamps                                     462
3.3732049999  0.0073013095
org-agenda-get-deadlines                                      462
2.6114349999  0.0056524567
org-agenda-skip                                               13809
1.8835389999  0.0001363993
org-time-string-to-absolute                                   11880
1.5394879999  0.0001295865
org-agenda-get-blocks                                         462
1.4670860000  0.0031755108
org-prepare-agenda                                            2
1.2731379999  0.6365689999

but this is on a netbook...:

,----
| processor     : 0
| vendor_id     : GenuineIntel
| cpu family    : 6
| model         : 28
| model name    : Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU N450   @ 1.66GHz
| stepping      : 10
| cpu MHz               : 1667.000
| cache size    : 512 KB
| physical id   : 0
| siblings      : 2
`----

this explains why I don't use a monthly view very often... ;-)

--
: Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D) in Emacs 24.0.50.1
: using Org-mode version 7.5 (release_7.5.288.gcec8)