Re: [O] org-contacts and dates before 1970

From: Eric S Fraga
Subject: Re: [O] org-contacts and dates before 1970
Date: Mon, 23 May 2011 19:26:27 +0100

Le Wang <address@hidden> writes:

> On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 2:03 AM, Eric S Fraga <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Le Wang <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

>>> I'm seeing another issue now, where if any org contact has a birthday
>>> pre 1970, I get the error "Bad sexp at line xxx ...".  Does this work
>>> for anyone else?
>>>
>>> I'm on Windows 7 runing native build of Emacs CVS and 23.2.1.  My
>>> org-mode is less than a week old.
>>
>> This is probably related to the same problem as discussed in this
>> thread:
>>
>> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/39206
>>
>> on the limitations of unix time (whether on Unix or not...).
>
> Thanks for the pointer, Eric.  Most of that thread was over my head.
> AFAIK, there is no 64 bit version of Emacs on Windows, so I guess I'm
> SOL.
>
> Just to clarify, diary-anniversary worked fine for my birthdays
> pre-1970, but org-contacts can't?

This is something that the developer(s) of org-contacts will have to
respond to themselves.  My response was simply to highlight that org
mode's date calculations are definitely dependent on some of the
implementation quirks of Emacs and that these could be responsible for
the problems you are observing!  I have no idea how the Emacs diary
functions differ from org mode in this respect.  Sorry.

--
: Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D) in Emacs 24.0.50.1
: using Org-mode version 7.5 (release_7.5.288.gcec8)