Re: [O] LaTeX export: underscores and the syntax package

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [O] LaTeX export: underscores and the syntax package
Date: Tue, 24 May 2011 13:09:26 +0200

On May 18, 2011, at 9:23 AM, Peter Frings wrote:

> Good morning Nicholas,
>
> Your suggested change in org-exp.el did the trick, thanks! I have not
> observed any side-effects, but then again, my files aren’t that complicated
> either, only using rather simple markup and a few floating images, no complex
> math or so…
>
> I wouldn’t mind having it changed as a fix, if only to avoid clashes with the
> syntax package, which I use a lot. Furthermore, I personally dislike
> underscores: they’re ugly and harder to type than a hyphen, but since they’re
> generated automatically those arguments don’t stand a chance :-)
>
> Anyway, now I know where to look I can always change it after installing a
> new release of org :-)

Hi Peter, Nicolas,

one disadvantage of applying this patch would be that existing links
to sections in HTML pages would become invalid.  For the rest, I don't care.

Thinking more about this, I think that people who want permanent
links to sections in HTML pages will use CUSTOM_ID rather than relying on
section
numbers.

OK, I am applying Nicolas' patch.

- Carsten

P.S. I think it counts as a bug in the syntax package, that it makes labels with
underscore invalid.  Maybe you could investigate this and submit a bug report?

> Cheers,
> Peter.

>> I'm really replying to Peter here, not to Robert, but I cannot find
>> Peter's original mail.
>>
>> You can change the underscore to e.g. a hyphen and get
>>
>> ,----
>> | \subsubsection{Experiment 1}
>> | \label{sec-1-1-1}
>> `----
>>
>> in the LaTeX output, by changing it in org-exp.el around line 1300 (I
>> don't want this to end up on patchwork, so I am trying to camouflage it
>> by boxquoting it - I hope that works for hiding the patch from patchwork
>> and also gives you enough context to make the change if you so desire):
>>
>> ,----
>> | diff --git a/lisp/org-exp.el b/lisp/org-exp.el
>> | index cda1f98..ac07c68 100644
>> | --- a/lisp/org-exp.el
>> | +++ b/lisp/org-exp.el
>> | @@ -1298,7 +1298,7 @@ Also find all ID and CUSTOM_ID properties and store
>> them."
>> |                                   (org-outline-level))))
>> |      (setq target (org-solidify-link-text
>> |                    (format "sec-%s" (replace-regexp-in-string
>> | -                                    "\\." "_"
>> | +                                    "\\." "-"
>> |                                      (org-section-number level)))))
>> |      (setq last-section-target target)
>> |      (push (cons target target) target-alist)
>> `----
>>
>> What I don't know is if this change will break something, either in
>> the LaTeX exporter or in the other exporters. So you might test it
>> and report any problems and if there are no problems, maybe you can
>> suggest it as a permanent fix. In my limited experimentation, exporting
>> a simple org file to latex/pdf, text and html, I did not observe any
>> problems, but that does not mean that they don't exist.
>>
>> Nick

- Carsten