Re: [O] Semantics of 'C-c -' and massively-indented lists

From: Huy
Subject: Re: [O] Semantics of 'C-c -' and massively-indented lists
Date: Sat, 28 May 2011 09:43:43 -0700

On Sat, May 28, 2011 at 07:09:06AM -0700, Huy wrote:
> On Sat, May 28, 2011 at 02:29:07PM +0200, Nicolas Goaziou wrote:
> > Fixed.
> >
> > Please report back if something is still wrong. Thank you.
>
> Perfect behavior! Exactly what I was expecting.
>
> The only problem is a typo 'skip-blank' instead of 'skip-blanks'
>
> Thanks a lot for the quick turnaround!

Actually, I found a few more problems

Multiple Lines
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I had forgotten to test when invoking 'C-c -' on multiple lines.

If I have (with oddeven and org-adapt-indentation on) the following:
** Headline 2
** Converting 2
*** Converting 3
* Converting 1
** Converting 2
*** Converting 3
and I try to do 'C-c -' on the 5 bottom lines, I get:
** Headline 2
   - Converting 1
     - Converting 2
   - Converting 1
   - Converting 1
     - Converting 2

I would hope to get the following instead:
** Headline 2
   - Converting 1
     - Converting 2
   - Converting 1
     - Converting 2
       - Converting 3

Whenever possible, the converted lines should preserve their relative levels
with their parent.
In the above example, we have 2 subtrees that should be preserved separately.
Of course, we can't keep all 5 items with levels relative to each other,
otherwise we'd get the nonsensical effect:
  - orphan
- parent
But in other cases, entire subtrees can be preserved.

Strange region behavior and 'C-c *'
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
When highlighting a region and then applying 'C-c -', all the lines that have
at least one character highlighted (anywhere on the line) will be converted.
That's good and as expected.

But the same doesn't happen with 'C-c *'.  There, it actually matters where the
region starts/ends in the line.

For example, if you have
** Headline 2
   - Converting 1
If you triple-mouse-click "Converting 1" or if you just single-click the cursor
on "Converting 1", then 'C-c *' will convert the line fine.
However, if you only select any of the letters on that line, e.g. the letter
'v', and then 'C-c *', then you get this:
** Headline 2
*** Con
verting 1

I have other problems that involve vimpulse and its visual mode, but I won't
bother you with that :)

Thanks,
Huy