Re: [O] git submodule and the bzr mirror on launchpad

From: Eric Schulte
Subject: Re: [O] git submodule and the bzr mirror on launchpad
Date: Mon, 30 May 2011 09:33:18 -0600

Hi,

Memnon Anon <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to familiarize myself with bazaar, so I had a look at the
> org-mode bzr mirror of the git repo.
>
>          https://code.launchpad.net/org-mode
>
> It fails to import since a couple of weeks, probably since
> this commit:
> ,----
> | commit 509ee52b5317cbcd4a611f57980038c7249363ce
> | Author: Eric Schulte <address@hidden>
> | Date:   Sun Oct 3 10:50:21 2010 -0600
> `----
>
> Turns out that there is some trouble handling git submodules in the
> import; (see: https://bugs.launchpad.net/bzr/+bug/402814 )
> they are working on this issue.
>
> Am I right that since march there is only the jump.el submodule?

That is correct, the only submodule is jump.el which isn't required for
normal use, but is included for navigation of the testing framework.
See the contents of the .gitmodules file in the Org-mode directory

,----[.gitmodules]
`----

> I am not familiar with git, but I was wondering if there is another
> way in this miraculous toolbox that is git - other than submodule - to
> get the current behaviour.

Not that I can think of.

> It is not worth significant effort, especially because there is hope
> this issue will be solved on launchpads/bzr side hopefully soon, but if
> there is an easy and quick way, it would be nice to get the bzr mirror
> (and with it the daily .deb snapshots for ubuntu) back running.

Is it possible to simply ignore the jump submodule (maybe skip that
commit) and then move forward with bzr synchronization.  There's no need
to include jump in the bzr repository as it's entirely optional and is
only needed for writing/using the test suite (which doesn't happen that
frequently anyways).

If there is no way to skip that commit on the bzr-synchronization side,
it shouldn't be difficult to create an alternate git repository which
mirrors the main repo but skips the submodule commit.  Once this is
setup the bzr repository could track this alternate git repository.

Hope this helps -- Eric

--
Eric Schulte
http://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte/