Re: [O] Links and visual-line-mode

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] Links and visual-line-mode
Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2011 22:49:14 -0400

Scott Randby <address@hidden> wrote:

> This is a problem that has been bugging me for some time because I use
> visual-line-mode a lot when I'm working on my org-mode files.
>
> Say I have visual-line-mode turned on when I'm editing an org-mode file.
> If I do C-c C-l, put in the link address, hit <Enter>, put in a
> description, and hit <Enter>, then the long lines in the document are no
> longer wrapped even though "(Org Wrap)" still appears on the mode line.
> The only way I've been able to get wrapping back is to do M-x
> visual-line-mode twice (which is just leaving the mode and then bringing
> it back. This is very inconvenient, especially when I want to enter
> several links. Is this a bug or is there an easy way to remind Emacs
> that it is in visual-line-mode and that it should wrap long lines?
>
> I have org-mode 7.5 on Emacs 23.2.1

Cannot reproduce this either on emacs 23.1.1 or emacs 24.0.50 - the only
versions I have available here. org-mode is from earlier today.

The word-wrap documentation suggests some interaction with
truncate-lines and truncate-partial-width-windows, so that might be a
path of investigation.  But when I try setting truncate-lines to t
(which does truncate long lines even though "Wrap" is still on the mode
line) and then do (visual-line-mode 1), the variable is set back to nil
again. In any case, inserting links does not cause any other changes, no
matter what I set the variable to.

Nick