Re: [O] "git describe" in version of info file with "make info_git_descr

From: Bernt Hansen
Subject: Re: [O] "git describe" in version of info file with "make info_git_describe"
Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2011 10:47:47 -0400

Michael Brand <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Bernt, hi all
>
> I appreciate that org-version adds the output of "git describe" to the
> org-version string if we are running
> from a git repository. Thanks to Bernt et al:
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/16620
>
> Now I suggest the same for the info file by using the new target "make
> info_git_describe" instead of "make info" for all who are running from
> a git repository and are not building a release. I am about to finish
> a patch for this but before posting it would like to know the reason
> for "(subst-char-in-string ?- ?. git-version t)" in org-version here:
> http://orgmode.org/w/?p=org-mode.git;a=blob;f=lisp/org.el;h=1ca03f48d86fac71837079f7c3219cb295a9c795;hb=HEAD#l217
>
> Can I remove this substitution of "release_7.5-350-g3433" ->
> "release_7.5.350.g3433" from org-version in my patch or should "make
> info_git_describe" do the same and why?

Hi Michael,

This was purely cosmetic.  I didn't like the look of the mixed '.' and
'-' in the version number originally.  I think the two reported version
numbers should be consistent between the org-version function and the
documentation version function you are proposing.

If you want to remove the substitution please also do so in the
org-version code so the reported numbers are consistent.

Regards,
--
Bernt