Re: [O] [Orgmode] S5 export

From: Eric Schulte
Subject: Re: [O] [Orgmode] S5 export
Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2011 09:02:01 -0600

Pierre de Buyl <address@hidden> writes:

>>> If welcomed, I have a few comments related to how I currently use
>>> this
>>> function (I have a talk coming soon :-) )
>>
>> Certainly, I'm happy to hear your feedback.
>>
>> I have the most recent version of my code up in a git repository
>> available at [1], with the file defining the `org-export-as-s5'
>> function
>> up at [2].
>
> I can't clone the repository.
> $ git clone http://gitweb.adaptive.cs.unm.edu/org-S5.git
> Cloning into org-S5...
> warning: remote HEAD refers to nonexistent ref, unable to checkout.
>
> I could get a snapshot however, from the web interface.

Try cloning using the git:// protocol, rather than http://

  git clone git://gitweb.adaptive.cs.unm.edu/org-S5.git

>>>     - If all "star" headlines become slides, it quickly leads to
>>> awkward layouts with empty slides below one star headings.
>>
>> Agreed, for this reason `org-export-headline-levels' is set to 1.
>>

>>>       I made a modification to the code to choose only one star
>>> headings as slides. This way, level 2 headings can be used as "in
>>> slide" headings.
>>>       I used an (if (looking-at "^\\* ") XXX) in the preprocess hook
>>> for that.
>>
>> I think using the `org-export-headline-levels' variable should be an
>> easier way to implement this.  See line 29 of the current code where
>> this variable is set.
>>
>> Oh, looking more closely, I see why you've made this change.  Even
>> though it shouldn't affect the output it seems wasteful to add the
>> 'html-container-class property to non-top-level headlines.  I've
>> added a
>> slight modification of your change to my code.
> Also, you cannot CSS properties for level 2 headlines, for instance.
>
> With your modification, it is still not possible to use level 2
> headings in a slide with proper CSS formatting.

Ah, because they become formatted as list elements.  This makes sense,
I've reverted this part of my changes.  Thanks for clarifying.

>>>     - An actual "title page" seems more appropriate, so I added one
>>> with "title author date" as h1,h2 and h3 headings.
>>
>> Great idea.  I've updated my code to include two customizable format
>> strings (`org-s5-title-string-fmt' and `org-s5-title-page-fmt') which
>> can be used to specify the title string shown at the bottom of each
>> page, and the title page respectively.
> Ok, but how should one set that ?
> I have the feeling that defining variables is not an easy approach.
> For instance, can it be set as a text field in the file ?
> Ok, I just read it and they are taken from the regular title author
> and date variables.

Yes, these variables are bound by Org-mode during export.

The `org-s5-title-string-fmt' and `org-s5-title-page-fmt' variables can
be set in a user's .emacs or as file local variables.

>>> The css need to be tweaked a little bit to get nice results.
>>> My modified org-export-as-s5 function is attached.
>>>
>>> I also posted an example online. It it exported from the file s5-
>>> test.org with the function defined in the attached file. The css is
>>> very slightly modified.
>>> The "scientific content" of the talk is incomplete, this is normal
>>> :-/
>>>
>>> http://homepages.ulb.ac.be/~pdebuyl/lectures/s5-test.html
>>> http://homepages.ulb.ac.be/~pdebuyl/lectures/s5-test.org
>>>

>> Very nice, I really like the title page addition, and it's great to
>> see
>> pictures, code and latex equations in a single example presentation.
>>
>> I have an example with a simple theme I wrote available online [3].
>> Just yesterday I added a page to Worg [4] with instructions for using
>> this new function which links to my simple example presentation.  If
>> you
>> don't mind sharing your example publicly I think it would make a great
>> addition to this worg page.
>
> You can post all of that, source and everything, on worg. It should
> just not rely on links to my page for the pictures, if possible.

Great, If I find the time I'll copy this example somewhere and link to
it from the worg page.

>> In general, I think this new S5 export option is turning into a very
>> useful addition to Org-mode.
>>
>> Cheers -- Eric
>
> It is especially useful for presentations with source code, in my
> opinion.

Agreed, I personally like it as a way to publish or distribute quick
presentation I've give with epresent [1].

Thanks -- Eric

> Regards,
>
> Pierre
>

>>> For those reading, I'll mention that using the html export, as done
>>> here, allows to include syntax-highlighted code and LaTeX equations
>>> very easily.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Pierre

>> Footnotes: