Re: [O] git useage question

From: Pieter Praet
Subject: Re: [O] git useage question
Date: Sun, 05 Jun 2011 02:06:36 +0200

On Sat, 4 Jun 2011 19:26:54 -0400 (EDT), Jude DaShiell <address@hidden> wrote:
> 1) so we understand each other.  My complaint has nothing to do with
>    org-mode's documentation and everything to do with the documentation
>    for git itself. [...]

Oh, I see :D

So your query should have been directed to the git mailing list [1],
but I admit that whether it would've garnered any useful responses is
rather doubtful.

Assuming you have no prior experience with distributed version control,
the following should be a very clear and concise introduction:
- http://eagain.net/articles/git-for-computer-scientists/
- http://hoth.entp.com/output/git_for_designers.html
- http://www-cs-students.stanford.edu/~blynn/gitmagic/

It's really worth the effort, as it'll pay back in no time.

Very soon you'll wonder how you've ever been able to work without it ;)

> [...] On Sun, 5 Jun 2011, Pieter Praet wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 4 Jun 2011 18:05:47 -0400 (EDT), Jude DaShiell <address@hidden>
> > wrote:
> > > I wouldn't be writing this if the documentation were reasonable.  Once
> > > org-mode gets cloned, how is git properly used to update the cloned
> > > instance on a machine?
> >
> > I wouldn't be writing this if your comment were reasonable.
> >

> > The following should be more than sufficient:
> >   - http://orgmode.org/manual/Installation.html#Installation
> >   - http://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.html#Keeping-current
> >

> > In the *highly unlikely* case that it isn't:
> >   You're probably already aware of this (though this awareness may be
> >   temporarily impeded due to Saturday night related inebriation), but
> >   it's worth noting that Org-mode's documentation documents Org-mode.
> >
> >   Org-mode != git, otherwise it would be called git instead of Org-mode,
> > see?
> >
> >   Kindly refer to some relevant (and extremely abundant) documentation:
> >   - http://git-scm.com/documentation
> >

> > Peace

Peace

[1] http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git