[O] [Orgmode] WISH: link expansion in Freemind export

From: Filip Buric
Subject: [O] [Orgmode] WISH: link expansion in Freemind export
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2011 23:42:00 +0300

Hello,

I thought it would be nice to be able to replace a local link with the contents of the target file
when exporting to Freemind and I couldn't figure out how to do this with the existing options
(just started using org-mode). I wanted to be able to make linked notes and then visualise
them as a mind map. For instance, exporting something like:

* TODO todo-list
* stuff
* more stuff
 [[./file.org][testlink]]

would produce:

where 'DATA' is the actual contents of file.org, instead of <p><a href="">
I already modified my copy of org-freemind.el to try this out.
I just modified org-free-mind-convert-links-from-org to insert the target contents instead of the html link:

 (defun org-freemind-convert-links-from-org (org-str)
   "Convert org links in ORG-STR to freemind links and return the result."
   (let ((fm-str (replace-regexp-in-string
                  (rx (not (any "[\""))
                      (submatch
                       "http"
                       (opt ?\s)
                       "://"
                       (1+
                        (any "address@hidden()_/:~=&#"))))
                  "[[\\1][\\1]]"
                  org-str)))
     (with-temp-buffer
       (insert-file-contents(substring fm-str
                             (+ (string-match "\\[\\[" fm-str) 2)
                             (string-match "\\]\\[" fm-str)))
       (buffer-string))))

(It's been a long time since I've written (*)lisp code so this might not be the best way to do this.)

Ideally this expansion would be recursive (and replace links in target files). I only handled one level since this is my usual use case (main note - satellite notes)
and making it recursive would also imply doing more restructuring through org-freemind.el, which is out of my way right now.
I just dived in to get the functionality through this hack. (This is also why the above code is not in patch notation.)
A proper solution would probably be to add more options to org-exp.el and additional code in org-freemind.el.

I suppose other export formats, such as ASCII, or just normal editing, might use this option as well.

Best regards,
Filip