[O] Use custom program to process LaTeX fragments?

From: amscopub-mail
Subject: [O] Use custom program to process LaTeX fragments?
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2011 08:56:33 -0700 (PDT)

Currently, whenever you export to HTML, you have 3 options for processing LaTeX
fragments: (1) dvipng, (2) jsmath, (3) or leave it as is.

Is it possible to use an arbitrary program to process LaTeX fragments?

What I want to do is use a commandline converter to turn the LaTeX fragments
directly into MathML. This way the final HTML document already has the correct
MathML without the need to use javascript. (Why? I use princexml to convert
that
HTML file to a hi-quality PDF. JSmath is no good for that.)