Re: [O] equation numbering in html and latex export

From: Eric S Fraga
Subject: Re: [O] equation numbering in html and latex export
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2011 08:53:24 +0100

Samuel Sinayoko <address@hidden> writes:

> Dear list,
>
> I've been trying to write short scientific reports that I can export to
> both LaTeX and HTML. So far I've managed to figure out how to include
> equations, images, references, and how to include labels and cross
> reference between all these things.
>
> The only problem I have is that I can't get numbered equations in both
> LaTeX and HTML. Using the snippet below, I'm able to get a numbered
> equation in HTML but not in LaTeX. I've put
> loadFiles: ["extensions/eqn-number.js"],
> in jsMath/easy/load.js. If I replace the $$ by
> \begin{equation} and \end{equation}, I get a numbered equation in LaTeX
> but not in HTML.
>
> How can I get numbered equations in both HTML and LaTeX?

I can't help you wish HTML unfortunately but I can summarise the issue
in LaTeX.

With the standard document class (article say), equations can be either
"displayed" or "inline".  Only displayed equations are numbered and then
only if you use =equation= (or =align=, =eqnarray=, etc).  $$ ... $$ is
equivalent to \[ ... \] which is essentially equivalent to the
unnumbered version of \begin{equation} (aka \begin{equation*}).

The trick would be to get the HTML exporter to apply the same processing
to \begin{equation} ... \end{equation} as it does to $$ ... $$, I guess?
--
: Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D) in Emacs 24.0.50.1
: using Org-mode version 7.5 (release_7.5.399.g01eb)