Re: [O] [babel] How to set multiple variables with properties

From: Christian Moe
Subject: Re: [O] [babel] How to set multiple variables with properties
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2011 20:27:00 +0200

Hi again,

I was referring to these functions:
- org-entry-put-multivalued-property
- org-entry-get-multivalued-property
- org-entry-add-to-multivalued-property
- org-entry-remove-from-multivalued-property
- org-entry-member-in-multivalued-property
described here:
http://orgmode.org/manual/Using-the-property-API.html

I've found a few discussions:
- http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/33457
- http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2010-02/msg00251.html

I don't have anything working with them, as such,[1] and I was curious if anyone did. They don't currently seem to be integrated into completion, search functions, Babel, and so on, which would limit their usefulness (though searching can be done with regexps). And I think implementing wider support for them would run into a problem with distinguishing between properties that are meant to be multivalued, or and properties that just contain a single value which happens to contain spaces.

But handling multiple var=value expressions in a :var: property for Babel, as Darlan asked about, might perhaps be doable...? Stuff might break, though.

Yours,
Christian

[1] I do have a small research database with some "multivalued" properties in it. For queries, I use your org-collector and regular expression matching against properties with multiple values. The multivalued-properties functions didn't really come into it, except that knowing they were there made me go ahead and put multiple values in one property. (As it turned out, that wasn't a very good design choice.)