Re: [O] Problem with autoloads

From: Michael Markert
Subject: Re: [O] Problem with autoloads
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2011 20:43:33 +0200

On 27 Jun 2011, Suvayu Ali wrote:

> On Mon, 27 Jun 2011 20:08:26 +0200
> Michael Markert <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>>> A fix/workaround is to adjust the loadpath to:
>>>
>>> (add-to-list 'load-path (expand-file-name "~/build/org-mode"))
>>
>> Scratch that. You need that line _additionally_ to the your other
>> two.
>
> I noticed something strange; if you do (load-library "org-capture")
> for example (with the load path set to ~/build/orgmode/lisp), the
> libraries get loaded without any errors and then on everything works
> as usual. This seems like a strange behaviour to me.

No, it's perfectly fine. With the autoloads you search for
`lisp/file.el' so the directory that includes the lisp directory has to
be in the load-path.
If you search only for the `file.el' the `lisp' directory itself has to
be in the load-path. This is exactly the problem if you change your
load-path according to my first mail: If you (or a file -- in my case it
was org-contacts.el) load the file directly, you'll fail.

With org-mode this is especially hairy, because the bundled org-mode is
by default still in the load-path, so you'll load the old ones -- in the
best case this results in cryptic and incomprehensible error messages on
load.

Michael