Re: [O] partial-completion-mode error when refiling

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] partial-completion-mode error when refiling
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2011 08:40:40 -0400

Bastien <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi Sebastian,
>
> "Sebastien Vauban" <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > When I was trying to refile an extract of an email, I got this:
> >
> > Getting targets...done
> > funcall: Symbol's function definition is void: partial-completion-mode
>
> thanks for reporting this -- this is indeed something wrong with the fix
> I made to `org-without-partial-completion' (see my other message to Paul
> Sexton).
>
> I reverted his patch so you won't see this error again.

I'm not sure that't the problem though: the org-without-partial-completion
macro is called in a couple of places, once in org-remember.el and twice
in org.el. I'm not sure how many people still use org-remember, but I suspect
quite a few. The macro basically says: execute the body while mmaking sure
that partial-completion-body is off during the execution. At least, that's
the intent but I haven't thought through the quoting change that Paul made.

The calls:

o org-remember-apply-template: called in the g or G case to complete tags.
o org.el: in org-icompleting-read.
o org.el: in org-set-tags *around* org-icompleting-read.

The last one seems superfluous at first sight, but I haven't thought about
it yet.

In any case, these seem fairly common situations so I think it is likely
that the macro has been called hundreds of times (over the whole org population)
without ill effects.

OTOH, partial-completion-mode is called explicitly in org-refile-get-location,
like this:

     (partial-completion-mode nil)

Could it be that it is really meant to turn *off* partial completion mode?
In which case, it would be better to call the org-without-partion-completion
macro here to do the work.

In any case, this explicit call seems to be more problematic than the macro.
After all that's what Seb hit.

Nick