Re: [O] problem with command-line call to emacsclient

From: Olaf Dietsche
Subject: Re: [O] problem with command-line call to emacsclient
Date: Sat, 02 Jul 2011 11:57:26 +0200

Herbert Sitz <address@hidden> writes:

> I'm making a call to an emacsclient and trying to figure out how to get the
> buffer to unload at the end of the function I'm calling.  I know kill-buffer
> isn't supposed to unload the buffer but I can't figure out what will.  I've
> tried server-edit and server-kill-buffer in place of kill-buffer below and
> they
> also haven't worked.  The buffer gets "pushed to the kill buffer", but remains
> loaded.
>
> The problem with having buffer remain loaded is when I redo the command-line
> call after editing the org file outside of emacs it prompts user for whether
> reload changed file.  One option would be to simply disable that prompt, I
> guess, but I'd rather be able to clear the buffer.
>
> Here's the function I'm calling:
> ----------------------------------
> (defun vimorg-export-publish (fname exp-function)
>   (find-file fname)
>   (funcall exp-function nil)
>   (kill-buffer) )
> ---------------------------------

I tried this in *scratch* and it works fine:

(defun test-kill-buffer (fname)
  (find-file fname)
  (kill-buffer))
C-x C-e
(test-kill-buffer "/tmp/abc.txt")
C-x C-e

Repeat the steps and leave out the "(kill-buffer)" and the file
/tmp/abc.txt remains in emacs.

> And here's sample command line that calls it.  Strange characters are because
> it's on Windows system, but it works fine other than that the buffer is not
> unloaded at end of vimorg-export-publish function:
> -----------------------------
> c:\users\herbert\emacsclientw.exe --eval ^"(vimorg-export-publish
> \^"~/myorgfile.org\^" 'org-export-as-html-and-open )^"
> ------------------------------

So it must be something with (funcall exp-function) or exp-function,
which prevents unloading `fname'.

Maybe org-export-as-html-and-open changes buffers. So, I guess either a
save-excursion around (funcall ...) or:

(defun test-kill-buffer (fname exp-function)
  (let ((buf (find-file fname)))
    (funcall exp-function)
    (kill-buffer buf)))

(test-kill-buffer "/tmp/abc.txt" 'some-function-to-call)

will do the trick.

Regards, Olaf