Re: [O] Portability

From: Eric Schulte
Subject: Re: [O] Portability
Date: Mon, 04 Jul 2011 14:54:14 -0600

Ista Zahn <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi all,
> Over the past couple of days I've been happily tweaking my org-mode
> settings. At one point something happened that gave me great pause. I
> forgot to load a function that adds an APA style LaTeX export (using
> apa6e.cls) to my org-export-latex-classes Alist. So of course when I
> tried to export using that class it did not work. This made me realize
> that my .org document depended on my .emacs file for export! This
> strikes me as a very bad thing because if I want others to be able to
> use my .org document I have to distribute (at least the relevant parts
> of) my .emacs along with it.
>
> So all this got me thinking that perhaps setting up lots of
> complicated org-mode related stuff in my .emacs is a bad idea, and
> that perhaps I should use a template to do the setup in each .org
> file.
>
> Please share any tips or suggestions you have related to this. What do
> you do? How well does it work? What suggestions do you have for
> someone just starting out with org-mode?
>
> Thanks!

I find that file-local-variables can be a convenient and portable way to
include the relevant Org-mode configuration in the actual org-mode file
itself.  See [1], specifically the second longer form which can be
placed at the end of a file.  I've used this to specify custom latex
classes, as well as change default export options.

Best -- Eric

Footnotes:
[1]
http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Specifying-File-Variables.html