Re: [O] Calendar-like view of the org-agenda

From: Niels Giesen
Subject: Re: [O] Calendar-like view of the org-agenda
Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2011 13:49:15 +0200

SAKURAI Masashi <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

> Just yesterday in JST, I released calfw v1.0.

This is just awesome!

[...]

> I have not used orgmode so far, so I'm not good at the schedule management in
> the orgmode. Comments and patches are welcome.

Ok. Here you go:

1. I have just send you a patch off-list to deal with bad sexps caused by
unbound `span' variable (this appears e.g. in diary-sunset and friends -- see
http://orgmode.org/worg/org-hacks.html). And while writing this email,
you notified me you have applied it... thanks!

2. For people using org-google-weather and using icons to spicen up
their agenda views for the weather, there is a problem with the grid as
the icons do not fit well inside a grid.

The simplest way to get around this I guess is advising
`cfw:org-collect-schedules-period' (I use a similar strategy for
`org-mobile-push' where one would otherwise only see the text "icon").

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
  (defadvice cfw:org-collect-schedules-period (around no-icon activate)
    (let (org-google-weather-display-icon-p)
      ad-do-it))
#+end_src

3. I'd like to select items with my keyboard, but the normal emacs
navigation bindings are not available. Maybe tabbing to items in
`cfw:details-mode' (but preferably also in cfw:calendar-mode) would do
it for me, where it would be nice if the mouse echo was also shown when
entering an item by way of keyboard navigation.

4. I do not know whether it is possible due to the dynamic construction
of mode maps in calfw.el, but it would be nice if you could take
advantage of the self-documenting nature of Emacs by including a
reference to the keymap in the docstring for the various modes. For
cfw:calendar-mode this would be st. like:

#+begin_src diff
   "This hook is called at end of setting up major mode `cfw:calendar-mode'.")

 (defun cfw:calendar-mode (&optional custom-map)
-  "Set up major mode `cfw:calendar-mode'."
+  "Set up major mode `cfw:calendar-mode'.
+
+\\{cfw:calendar-mode-map}"
   (kill-all-local-variables)
   (setq truncate-lines t)
   (use-local-map (cfw:calendar-mode-map custom-map))
#+end_src

This way users have a quick overview of keybindings by pressing C-h m.

5. (perhaps slightly OT) From your screenshots I see you have no problem
with putting multibyte (japanese) characters inside a grid, something
with which I always have problems (e.g. in org tables but also in your
calendar). Do you do anything special to make that work?

Regards and many thanks for such a nice addition to Emacs and Org Mode,
Niels.

--
http://pft.github.com/