Re: [O] patch org-mode Makefile - solve a couple debian build problems a

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: [O] patch org-mode Makefile - solve a couple debian build problems and a slackware build problem
Date: Sat, 09 Jul 2011 10:38:23 +0200

Hi Achim,

Achim Gratz <address@hidden> writes:

> A Makefile is not the place to pull stunts, IMHO.  Whenever you feel
> that should become necessary, maybe it's time to go autoconf or some
> similar mechanism.  I don't think that's the right thing to do for
> org-mode, since it again adds some dependency on other software.

I'm not a big fan of considering autoconf either.

Wild guess:

- 90% of Org users use the Emacs version;
- for those who do not, 90% can live with the current Makefile;
- for the 10% that cannot run the Makefile:
  - 50% will just locally add the right load-path and info-path
  - 50% will need more install information.

The solution I suggest is to clearly document the few exceptions
(0.5%) for those who need them.

--
 Bastien