Re: [O] Regression bug in tangle/weave

From: Neeum Zawan
Subject: Re: [O] Regression bug in tangle/weave
Date: Sat, 09 Jul 2011 09:14:56 -0700

Eric Schulte <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Indeed this example below no longer works, however I believe the new
> behavior is both desired and permanent.  I'll explain and include an
> option for how your example could be restructured to work with the new
> code.
>
> We ran into problems automatically removing trailing newlines from code
> block bodies as in some languages (looking at you Python and Haskell)
> things like trailing newlines are of syntactic importance.  In your
> example this behavior results in the insertion of newlines after
> file-name and file-version.  Babel is careful to preserve line prefixes
> when expanding references in comments, so it then reproduces the
>
>   # Generated from
>
> portion of that line for every line of the expanded noweb references.
>
> I would suggest the following alternatives, either using a data
> references in stead of a code block reference as in the file-version
> example below, or using an evaluated code block as in the file-name
> example below.  Hope this helps.

Oh dear. Am I to blame for this?

When I reported the newline issue, somewhere in the back of my mind I
knew it probably would have some ugly consequences. Now I see them.

An evaluated code block seems inelegant/confusing if one intends to
export that code as part of the document. A data reference seems OK, but
I take it you can't have references within it?

Unfortunately, I see no easy solution...