Re: [O] Calendar-like view of the org-agenda

From: Jason F. McBrayer
Subject: Re: [O] Calendar-like view of the org-agenda
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2011 11:30:37 -0400

On Tue, 12 Jul 2011 11:38:53 +0200, Sebastien Vauban wrote:
Eric S Fraga wrote:
I was going to suggest you try Liberation Mono; it's what I moved to
from Consolas for just this reason. However, I am confused about fonts
in Emacs. If I "C-u C-x =" at any character in this paragraph, I get
for example: : xft:-unknown-Liberation
Mono-normal-normal-normal-*-16-*-*-*-m-0-iso10646-1 (#x4C)

Look at the results under Windows (in 8 pt):

http://i.imgur.com/qkavC.png [2]Some figures are simply missing dots in
their graphical representation...

If, however, I do this at the top right corner character above, I get :
xft:-unknown-DejaVu Sans
Mono-normal-normal-normal-*-16-*-*-*-m-0-iso10646-1 (#x933) It seems
Emacs is using different typefaces... In any case, I do recommend
Liberation but I guess I should also recomment DejaVu Sans? ;-)

DejaVu Sans is a bit better, but it must be in 9pt to be right... while I
really like smaller fonts.

I still will give it a try for a couple of days. But, as of now, nothing
beats Consolas yet...

I /think/ that in X, emacs will select the closest font it can find to
in order to get the characters it needs. However, in Windows, it will
only use the default font (or whatever is explicitly specified for the
face), even if that font is missing characters. The only workaround
I've found for buffers that need a lot of Unicode characters is to use
DejaVu Sans Mono. Consolas is very nice, but its Unicode coverage is
not good.

| Jason F. McBrayer address@hidden                     |
| If someone conquers a thousand times a thousand others in |
| battle, and someone else conquers himself, the latter one |
| is the greatest of all conquerors. --- The Dhammapada     |