[O] agenda view: global todo list

From: William H. Daffer
Subject: [O] agenda view: global todo list
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2011 13:17:36 -0700

Hi;

I'm relatively new to org-mode, I'm liking what I see so far, but I have two questions.

I'm using emacs  23.2.1, org-mode 6.33x

I have org-todo-keywords set to

((sequence "TODO(t!)" "ANALYSIS(a!)" "FEEDBACK(f@)" "VERIFY(v!)" "WAIT(w@/!)" "|" "DONE(d@)" "DELEGATED(e@)" "CANCELLED(c@)"))

and I have a org-remember-template set up to capture (among other things) random TODOs into a file named 'todo.org'.

1. In Global TODO agenda view (C-a t) the '# r' 'redo' command confuses me a bit.

In the menu at the top of the view, '0 r' maps to 'ALL' and '1 r' to the list of unclosed TODOs, yet they both produce the same listing for me. I was expecting '0 r' to produce a listing of all TODO's, whatever state they were in. This may just be a misunderstanding of what 'ALL' really means: is 'ALL' just a synonym for 'TODO'?

2. With org-todo-keywords defined as above... Regarding the interaction of 'remember' and 'org-todo-keywords.

When I go to capture a TODO using remember, unless I set org-log-done to 'note (though I haven't tried setting it to 'time) org-mode doesn't seem to know about org-todo-keywords (even though C-hv shows that it's defined), no logging happens, and the TODOs in todo.org have only the 2 default states.

When I do (setq org-log-done 'note), remember fails to log the initial change _into_ the TODO state, unlike what happens inside of any other org-mode file when I hit C-cC-t, it will only do so when I change state using C-cC-t, either in the note after I've filed it using C-cC-c, or while composing the TODO in the remember buffer.

This last happenstance does leave me with a work-around: after starting to compose a remember TODO, and while still in the 'remember' buffer, I can do C-cC-t to change the state from TODO to TODO, (and then change the first TODO to "", if I'm feeling fastidious) and that will log the time of the start of the TODO. All subsequent changes to the state will be handled just as with any other TODO. So, the question is: is this just the way things are with remember and org-todo-keywords?

Finally, thanks to all for their good work on this mode. It's pretty fabulous!

TIA

whd