Re: [O] Org-mode on GNU ELPA

From: Jambunathan K
Subject: Re: [O] Org-mode on GNU ELPA
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2011 11:46:46 +0530

address@hidden writes:

> Org-mode on GNU ELPA does not distribute the contrib-directory. Is
> there any chance this could be added?

I have a patch to Makefile which permits this to be done. I have not
been able to spend much time hacking for the last week or so but I plan
to nudge it forward as soon as my spirit is willing.

The actual inclusion of specific items would be governed by GNU ELPA's
policy. Since you use the term 'GNU ELPA' I believe you are following at
the discussions on the emacs-devel list.

The ELPA tarball contains no other documentation apart from the info
file. Would you also like to see the html, pdf documentation and
refcards be distributed with?

What files in the contrib dir are you interested in? If indicate your
preferences, may be this discussion wouldn't end up being too abstract.

> Other than that, I think the GNU ELPA archive is synced with the
> trunk/master rather than with the actual releases.

Correct.

> I often encounter minor bugs when working with org which usually
> disappear after updating from GNU ELPA again.

> Is is possible that the mainline release (7.6) is distributed via ELPA
> rather than a bleeding edge development version?

>From the Org side of things, there are discussions about having a stable
and devel branches - I think they are called master and maint.

>From the package manager of things, the archive-contents file which is a
"catalogue" for the packages distributed by the repo, permit only ONE
latest version for a package. The problem really is that there are could
potentially TWO latest versions of a package - a development version
that is a daily snapshot and a stable release (What is "latest", is
defined by the user preferences) - and BOTH of them cannot be
distributed in existing scheme of things. ie., you either have latest
devel or the latest stable but not both.

You can refer to my Oct 2010, post on emacs-devel for further
information.

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2010-10/msg01026.html

The post didn't gain much traction. I think my idea were perhaps too
early for it's time (Atleast that's what I would like to believe in)

Jambunathan K.