Re: [O] agenda view: global todo list

From: Sebastien Vauban
Subject: Re: [O] agenda view: global todo list
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2011 14:40:36 +0200

Hi William,

"William H. Daffer" wrote:
> I'm relatively new to org-mode, I'm liking what I see so far, but I have two
> questions.

Welcome, then!

> I'm using emacs  23.2.1, org-mode 6.33x
>
> I have org-todo-keywords set to
>
> ((sequence "TODO(t!)" "ANALYSIS(a!)" "FEEDBACK(f@)" "VERIFY(v!)" "WAIT(w@/!)"
> "|" "DONE(d@)" "DELEGATED(e@)" "CANCELLED(c@)"))
>
> and I have a org-remember-template set up to capture (among other things)
> random TODOs into a file named 'todo.org'.
>
> 1. In Global TODO agenda view (C-a t) the '# r' 'redo' command confuses me a
> bit.
>
> In the menu at the top of the view, '0 r' maps to 'ALL' and '1 r' to the list
> of unclosed TODOs, yet they both produce the same listing for me. I was
> expecting '0 r' to produce a listing of all TODO's, whatever state they were
> in.  This may just be a misunderstanding of what 'ALL' really means: is 'ALL'
> just a synonym for 'TODO'?

ALL is supposed to mean all todo keywords (= TODO, ANALYSIS, FEEDBACK, etc.).
TODO is one of them, in your case.

Please provide us with an ECM (complete minimal example) to help us reproduce
your problem.

You can hard-code in that file the authorized TODO states with the #+SEQ_TODO
"property".

> 2. With org-todo-keywords defined as above... Regarding the interaction of
> remember' and 'org-todo-keywords.
>
> When I go to capture a TODO using remember, unless I set org-log-done to 'note
> (though I haven't tried setting it to 'time)  org-mode doesn't seem to know
> about org-todo-keywords (even though C-hv shows that it's defined),  no
> logging happens, and the TODOs in todo.org have only the 2 default states.
>
> When I do (setq org-log-done 'note), remember fails to log the initial change
> _into_ the  TODO state, unlike what happens inside of any other org-mode file
> when I hit C-cC-t, it will only do so when I change state using C-cC-t, either
> in the note after I've filed it using C-cC-c, or while composing the TODO in
> the remember buffer.
>
> This last happenstance does leave me with a work-around: after starting to
> compose a remember TODO, and while still in the 'remember' buffer, I can do
> C-cC-t to change the state from TODO to TODO, (and then change the first TODO
> to "", if I'm feeling fastidious) and that will log the time of the start of
> the TODO. All subsequent changes to the state will be handled just as with any
> other TODO. So, the question is: is this just the way things are with remember
> and org-todo-keywords?

First remark: migrate away from "remember". Use the new interface called
"org-capture".

Then, try to reproduce your problem. But, it shouldn't exist: you can change
the state, within a capture session, of the TODO keyword:

- with C-c C-t, as you say
- with shift + left/right arrow.

Best regards,
  Seb