Re: [O] Suggestion: Stackoverflow for Orgmode

From: Memnon Anon
Subject: Re: [O] Suggestion: Stackoverflow for Orgmode
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2011 13:45:03 +0000 (UTC)

Thomas Renkert <address@hidden> writes:

> I noticed that - as more people with a diverse range of background knowledge
> start to use orgmode - the mailing list is getting more and more difficult to
> navigate:

I do agree that the volume of mails did considerably increase.

> a lot of threads are long and winding and many of the posts are basic
> questions from beginners and questions about special use cases or scenarios
> from
> more experienced users.

At this point, however, I have a different impression.
Yes, there are some long threads, but those seem to be rarley those
interesting for new users while setting up their orgworld.
Those threads are *imho* usually about new features that need
discussion, clarification etc.: a ping pong of ideas.
When subareas emerge, tags like [BABEL] or now [CALFW] make it easy to
parse them out if you are not interested.

OTOH, I am used to dealing with mailing lists and I find them very
convenient. Others may very well have a different impression.
Is this worth a poll in a new thread?

> An idea:
> Many of you may be familiar with the Q&A-Sites www.stackoverflow.com or
> www.superuser.com.

There are already some questions about org on stackoverflow, if people
are interested in this format, they can already go there. Setting this
up seems overkill to me, especially, because we have Worg to collect
the nuggets of all threads. If newcomers find the volume on this list
overwhelming, I think splitting it into a -dev and a -user list would
be the next logical step, first.

However, I am not opposed to this idea when others agree it would be
usefull. I can't really see myself using it so far, but that may very
well change.

Memnon