Re: [O] Org-capture from Firefox: ^M or not ^M?

From: Sebastien Vauban
Subject: Re: [O] Org-capture from Firefox: ^M or not ^M?
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2011 21:23:00 +0200

Hi Otto ,

Otto Pichlhöfer  wrote:
> Sebastien Vauban <address@hidden> writes:
>> In the exact same conditions (I mean, Emacs settings, etc.), when I capture
>> some regions from Web pages, they sometimes:
>>
>> - are mixed "all one one line"
>>   Example:
>> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gnu-emacs/2007-03/msg00670.html
>>
>> - are copied as on the screen, but with ending ^M at every line
>>   Example: http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/DiaryMode
>>
>> I'm not sure anymore whether or when it is correct:
>> - region on multiple lines (as on the screen), and
>> - no ending ^M...
>>
>> Questions:
>>
>> - Do you see the same behavior as mine?  I'm on Windows XP with Firefox
>>   3.6.18.
>>
>> - Is there some work around so that you would not have to fiddle with the
>>   copied text?
>
> I do this:
>
> (defun remove-ctrl-M ()
>   "Remove ^M at end of line in the whole buffer."
>   (interactive)
>   (save-match-data
>     (save-excursion
>       (let ((remove-count 0))
>         (goto-char (point-min))
> (point-max) t) ; so passt es nur am Ende der Zeile
>         (while (re-search-forward (char-to-string 13) (point-max) t)
>           (setq remove-count (+ remove-count 1))
>           (replace-match "" nil nil))
>         (message (format "%d ^M removed from buffer." remove-count))))))
>
> and:
>
> (add-hook 'org-capture-mode-hook 'remove-ctrl-M)

Thanks for sharing this code which resolves... the easiest problem of the 2
described above. That's already one step.

But do you get paragraphs ouput as one very long line as well -- when captured
--, in the first link above? If yes, do you have a solution for that one?

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sebastien Vauban