Re: [O] [feature request] tangle on org-special-edit

From: Eric Schulte
Subject: Re: [O] [feature request] tangle on org-special-edit
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2011 11:19:16 -0600

Dirk Scharff <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello,
>
> Org-mode provides the function to edit code blocks in their languages
> native environment. If you want do literate programming you'll end up
> with web-syntax (<<the-block-to-be-included-here>> ) in the
> environment org-special-edit started.
>
> I'd like to purpose, that before opening the special language
> environment, the code-block should be tangled to a temporary
> file. Then a buffer should be stated with that file loaded in its
> native language environment. If you'd do that the code would really be
> executable and therefore debuggable and analyzable with the tools the
> programming language provides.
>
> You'll have to keep track on the tangled code blocks then. I think
> some info in comments should do the trick. I uploaded a mockup of what
> I mean here: http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/3503145/org-feature-mockup.pdf

Hi Dirk,

If you would like to pop to a code block *with* the noweb references
expanded try the `org-babel-expand-src-block' command, which is bound to
"C-c C-v v".  This view of code blocks is not editable however because
there would be no way to propagate edits back into the original code
blocks -- consider an edit taking placed on the boundary between two
code blocks, or multiple nested noweb references.

There has been some interest in propagating changes back from tangled
code to Org-mode blocks (search these list archives for the term
"detangle") however such functionality is currently not implemented --
an `org-babel-detangle' function does exist but is not fully functional.

Best -- Eric

--
Eric Schulte
http://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte/