Re: [O] Need control over insertion point of variables in code blocks

From: Rainer M Krug
Subject: Re: [O] Need control over insertion point of variables in code blocks
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2011 09:34:03 +0200

On Fri, Jul 22, 2011 at 9:22 AM, Dirk Scharff <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi

i just noticed that variables are assigned in the top of the exported code. That can be problematic in some situations:

#+source: the_test
#+begin_src python :var x=3 :tangle test.py :results output
from __future__ import division
print x
#+end_src

tangling results in:

x=3
from __future__ import division
print x

The problem with the result is simple:
SyntaxError: from __future__ imports must occur at the beginning of the file

To export this correctly I'd need the possibility to tell org-mode where the variables are supposed to be inserted. Is there a way to do this? I didn't find a keyword for this in the documentation.

For tangling: you could put   from __future__ imports into the :shebang and use padline ":padline no", i.e.:

#+source: the_test
#+begin_src python :var x=3 :tangle test.py :results output :shebang from __future__ imports :padline no
print x
#+end_src

which results in

from __future__ imports
print x

Keep in mind, that I have NEVER used python (although I should...).

Cheers,

Rainer

A second problem I have at the moment lies with the execution of source-blocks in tables. What I'd like to do:

| argument | result |
|        1 | #ERROR |
|          |        |
#+TBLFM: $2=call_the_test(x=$<)

I guess I'm just doing something wrong here. Executing the #+Tblfm results in the error: "reference $< not found in buffer". How do I do the reference correctly in this case?

You can test both cases in the attached org-file.

Stellenbosch University
South Africa

Tel :       +33 - (0)9 53 10 27 44
Cell:       +33 - (0)6 85 62 59 98