Re: [O] [calfw] Better use of space

From: Rasmus
Subject: Re: [O] [calfw] Better use of space
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2011 11:12:46 +0200

Hi Masashi,

> I like here
We're trilled that you're here!

> Thanks for your request and good images.
> I think this request involves 3 functions.

You are probably right.

> * Time table layout
>
> I think this function is very difficult, because it needs many study
> for me to implement, including following functions.
> Of course, I consider the time table view is one of the goal of calfw.

Oh, right; it could be done as a seperate view or layout.

> * Display multiple-lines items (the source splits an item multiple lines.)
>
> This is not so difficult. In this mechanism, the source objects can
> propose some formats, for example, "15:00 appointment" and ("15:00-15:30"
> "appointment"). Then, calfw chooses the suitable format and displays
> in the current layout algorithm.

It could be a string similar to how BBDB, Gnus and other Emacs mode does
it. See for example (describe-variable 'gnus-summary-line-format).

User could specify calfw:timeview-format "%Starttime-%Endtime: %Event"
or whatever.

> * Word-wrapping and folding lines (calfw splits lines within a column.)
>
> This is little difficult. I think word-wrapping, folding lines and
> truncating strings can not be achieved in the narrow columns
> straightforwardly. I need a time to study this issue.

Hmm,
I guess the width of column is calculated when generating the view.
I'll use pseudo-code as my Emacs Lisp isn't great.
#+begin_src emacs-lisp
  (if (> (calfw:timeview-entry-length) (calfw:column-length))
   (#split-entry after column-length, preferbly after word
    # and retur
   )
#+end_src
I hope it makes sense. . .