[O] Question about org-search-view and org-occur-in-agenda-files

From: suvayu ali
Subject: [O] Question about org-search-view and org-occur-in-agenda-files
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2011 19:36:16 +0200

Hi Orgers,

I know that I can use `org-search-view' or `org-occur-in-agenda-files'
from the agenda to search for some string on all my agenda files. And I
can customise `org-agenda-text-search-extra-files' to include extra text
files.

These search functions are quite powerful in general, so I was wondering
if these functions can be used to do a search restricted to say a list
of files or to org files within a directory. If I could wrap these in my
own functions, even that would be amazingly helpful.

To illustrate a use case, I recently switched research projects[1]. I
keep all my files related to the OLDPROJ under ~/org/OLDPROJ/ and all my
files related to the NEWPROJ under ~/org/NEWPROJ/[2]. Now when I perform
a text search I want to include only the NEWPROJ along with my agenda
files (located in ~/org/). Now I would like to have an interface (either
through the agenda menu or through some interactively called function)
to perform a search _only_ on the OLDPROJ files when necessary. Is that
possible?

Any hints as to how I can achieve this would be amazingly helpful.
Thanks. :)

Footnotes:

[1] I am using the word project rather loosely to describe a
    super-project with several sub-projects which are rather significant
    by themselves.

[2] These project directories have their own structure based on
    sub-projects and other needs.

--
Suvayu