Re: [O] Suggestion: Stackoverflow for Orgmode

From: Thomas Renkert
Subject: Re: [O] Suggestion: Stackoverflow for Orgmode
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2011 12:59:17 +0200

@ Bastien, Jason

thank you for your response!

I made a proposal to stackexchange.com for a dedicated Org-mode site but they rejected it as a duplicate of stackoverflow. So this option is out.

Nevertheless, I still think it would be nice to have something like this for Org-mode only.

We could install our own SE-like site using askbot.org or osqa.net.

As far as I see, the installation of askbot is not completely trivial but doable: http://askbot.org/doc/index.html

The webserver (if it is Apache) would need mod_fcgi or mod_wsgi since askbot is based on Django and python.

(see also: http://askbot.org/en/question/72/is-askbot-easy-to-install
http://askbot.org/en/question/263/what-servers-and-configs-is-askbot-known-to-work
http://askbot.org/en/question/33/is-my-shared-host-good-enough-for-django)

It is still quite some work, I am aware of this. If it drains too much energy, it isn't worth it.
But if we could get it off the ground, I think it would be a great addition to the Org community.

>At least there is nothing wrong in trying.

Exactly.

So this would be the next steps:

1. Download askbot, install askbot, configure askbot
2. configure the webserver
3. deploy askbot on the webserver

Regards,
Thomas