Re: [O] org unavailable in ELPA package manager

From: Max Roberts-Zirker
Subject: Re: [O] org unavailable in ELPA package manager
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2011 21:43:06 -0400

Bastien,

Thanks for the quick follow up. I'm encouraged to know that there is an active community here.

I'm using Emacs 23, but I've been trying to get my org files to sync between Ubuntu (which has 'GNU Emacs 23', 'Emacs Snapshot (Client)', and 'Emacs Snapshot (GTK)'), OSX with Aquamacs, and my Android phone. I believe that I got the package manager installed on one of the linux emacs clients as I was looking through a list of packages to install, but I can't remember which one. Now M-x list-packages RET shows "[No match]", so I can't confirm it. I'm confused why it would have worked before and not now.

A few considerations:
- The ELPA instructions are for Emacs 22, not 23 (but like I said, I believe I had it working before)
- I didn't change the ~/elisp/ path from the package manager installation instructions
- If I skip ahead in the Worg instructions to test whether the installation was successful by locating the library, I get the following return: "Library is file /usr/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/org/org.elc"

Anything else I might be missing?

Max...

On Sun, Jul 24, 2011 at 7:36 PM, Bastien <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi Max,

Max Roberts-Zirker <address@hidden> writes:

> Following step 4 of the Worg instructions to install ELPA
> (http://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.html#installing-via-elpa) in order to
> upgrade to a newer version of Org-Mode:
>
> "If you are here it means that org is unavailable in the GNU's
> archives. Report this discrepancy to Orgmode mailing
> list. <mailto:address@hidden> "
>
> I'm reporting that I didn't find "org" as an option when I (finally) got
> the ELPA package manager installed. I'll try updating from a tarball.

What version of Emacs are you using?

I just did M-x list-packages RET and Org is listed here, version
20110724, indicating this is yesterday's snapshot.

--
 Bastien